This post is also available in: Español
A reader from Chile asked me for the recipe to make plain grilled arepas. I thought that was so cute, because the recipe is printed on the Harina PAN package and if you follow those directions you will get the perfect dough. That’s exactly what I do. My only “secret” is I don’t add any salt.
For those of you unfamiliar with the art of making arepas, here is the not so secret formula to make the best plain ones! By the way, this is the same recipe used yesterday by Empresas Polar in my home country to celebrate the 50 anniversary of Harina PAN and enter the Guinness record book with an arepa weighing 493.2 kilos!
- 2 ½ cups of luke warm water
- 2 cups of Harina PAN pre cooked arepa flour
- Pour the water in a bowl.
- Add the flour and mix with your hands until well incorporated.
- Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Form dough balls according to the size of your arepa maker.
- Cook following the instructions of the arepa maker. In the case of my Miallegro arepa maker, it takes 12 minute to have the arepas done.
Thank you for saving and sharing this arepa recipe on Pinterest.42