This post is also available in: Español
Pasta with arugula and walnuts pesto.Since I started Savoir Faire, I am amazed about the many things I want to cook. I wish I can have 48-hour days so I can cook and write about all the things coming to my mind every single day. Take a look at this arugula (rocket) pesto, for example. Last October, we planted the seeds for my beloved arugulas and two weeks ago I started having my daily salad. But then, David Lebovitz wrote about his dandelion pesto and suddenly I got the urge to make my own pesto with arugula, instead of basil, and walnuts, instead of pine nuts.I have a romance with tart, spice and bitter flavors. Let’s say I love the character in those flavors. This is why arugula and watercress are my favorite greens. But I never thought about muddling arugula to make a pesto until I read David’s post.Since my arugula is growing like crazy, I made this pesto for two days in a row. The first time, I made it just to try it. The second one, I corrected some proportions in the ingredientes and then I introduced my new recipe to my family.What a success! Now I have Andrés Ignacio and Tomás Eugenio eating arugula! Isn’t it cool?As you may know, arugula is a little bit astringent. That is balanced by the nutty flavor of toasted walnuts. The garlic is sautéed to provide a mild flavor: I adore garlic, but didn’t want this to be a garlicky pesto.This pesto can be eaten over toast, fresh bread, or with pasta, like I did. The pasta can be served hot, warm or cold. More good news: the whole process of making the pesto and cooking the pasta took me just 12 minutes!I hope you like pasta with arugula and walnuts pesto recipe.
Pasta with Arugula and Walnuts Pesto
- 1 package of pasta noodles
- 4 cups of arugula leaves
- 8 garlic cloves pressed with the blade of a knife and pealed
- ¾ cup of walnuts halved
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese grated I used Grana Padano
- Put the water for the pasta to boil.
- Add some drops of the olive oil to a pan on low to medium heat and sauté the garlic until brownish, 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan, toast the walnuts until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta and once it’s al dente, strain it, and let some fresh water run on top to stop cooking. Strain again.
- In a food processor, process the arugula, nuts, garlic and salt to taste. While processing, add the olive oil and process until everything is well combined.
- Pour the pesto in a bowl, add the cheese and mix well.
- You may need to add some more olive oil.
- In a pasta bowl, combine the pesto with the warm pasta.
Thank you for saving and sharing this Pasta with Arugula and Walnut Pesto recipe on Pinterest.