This post is also available in: Español
This Arepas with Chorizo Scrambled Eggs recipe is part of a paid partnership with Vive Mejor and DiMe Media, but my love for arepas and Venezuelan cuisine are only mine. Thank you for reading and supporting the brands that make Savoir Faire possible.In my house arepas are our daily bread. Literally speaking, we eat arepas three to four times a week. Usually at breakfast. But arepas are so, but so versatile that you can eat them at brunch, lunch if you fill it with tuna salad or make a Reina Pepiada, for example.
And you can also serve them at dinner, which is what we did today with these arepas with chorizo scrambled eggs.
These eggs are very similar to the perico eggs (scrambled eggs with sofrito). They remind me of those my grandma Ligia used to make with chorizo carupanero (from Carúpano, in the Sucre state in my native Venezuela).
This recipe is not mine. Rather it’s a version of one that I found in vivemejor.com and I thought it was perfect for Andrés Ignacio (16) who is hungry at all times, eats at all times and if there are arepas, he eats even more!
I made the arepas as usual: following the recipe that comes in the package of pre-cooked arepa flour that, at least in South Florida, is available everywhere, and in the rest of the country you can buy it in the Latin food stores. I did not make them in an arepas maker, but in a grill pan.I didn’t add any salt to the eggs because I seasoned them with Knorr Tomato Bouillon with a Chicken Flavor, and in my version of the Vive Mejor recipe I didn’t cook them with oil because I took advantage of making the sofrito with the chorizo.
As it is about making a complete meal, I served my arepas with chorizo scrambled eggs, with delicious slices of plantain, although this time I didn’t fry but baked them.
While I was making them and taking the pictures I made a pitcher of Lipton tea with lemon because in Miami, although spring is in full swing, it feels like summer.
I hope you like this recipe.
Arepas with Chorizo Scrambled Eggs
- ½ cup of Spanish chorizo finely chopped
- ½ cup of chopped onion finely chopped
- 1 cup of tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon of Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken Flavor
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 6 arepas
- Plantain slices ripe and baked
- Sauté the chorizo in its own fat, for 1 a minute, in a pan over medium heat
- Add onion and tomato and cook covered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato broth and stir.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the eggs and stir.
- Cook covered for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Open the arepas and fill them as if a pocket.
- Serve with the plantains.
Thank you for saving and sharing this arepas with chorizo scrambled eggs recipe on Pinterest.2