This post is also available in: Español
Sometimes, things that you don’t plan are the best ones.
I was planning to make my butternut squash soup, as the first course for my welcome dinner for the amazing Larry Massie, who came with his daughter, my niece Autumn, to spend the weekend with us.
I wanted to feed him with something different, then Venezuelan cuisine came to my mind.But, guess what: because Larry is such a cool guy, we ended having four more people for dinner. So, I added sweet potato to the pot and, after I processed it, simmered it with some fresh sage, which we all know pairs perfectly with squash.
The result of this lucky improvisation is this beautiful, bright yellow, creamy soup with hints of sage. Sublime by itself, to make it more appealing, I served it with handmade goat cheese little pearls.
A total success, to honor Larry —who is a Vietnam veteran, a Michigan historian, the author of more than 25 books and a mesmerizing story teller—, from now on this soup will be called Larry’s Soup. I hope you like my recipe.
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup with Sage and Goat Cheese
- 3 Tbs. of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of leeks coarsely chopped the white part and some of the tender green
- 4 cups of butternut squash peeled and diced
- 2 cups of sweet potato peeled and diced
- 8 cups of water
- 2 sage sprigs
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 5 oz. 150 grs of goat cheese
- In a stock pan over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the leaks until they are soft, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and the sweet potato and cook, stirring, 5 more minutes.
- Add the water and cook for 25 minutes, until the squash and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Turn off the heat.
- With an immerse blender, blend all the ingredients until creamy.
- Turn off the blender and add the sage and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Discard the sage.
- With your hands, make goat cheese pearls.
- Garnish with the cheese and fresh sage sprigs.
Thank you for sharing and saving this Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup recipe e0