This BBQ Pork Ribs with Tamarind-Chipotle Glaze recipe is part of a collaboration with Smithfield. All opinions are mine. Thank you for reading and supporting the brands that make Savoir Faire possible.
I know some of you find grilling quite intimidating. But If I can grill these BBQ pork ribs with tamarind-chipotle glaze to perfection, I bet you can do it too.
Tamarind & Chipotle: A Match Made in Heaven
Besides the Smithfield Fresh Pork Ribs, what makes these ribs so finger-licking is the homemade tamarind-chipotle glaze.
I made my glaze with tamarind paste, which adds an interesting complex twist to these ribs. It’s tart, sweet, and sour at the same time, and combined with the smoky notes of pickled chipotle, you will have everybody finger-licking while having the ribs!
If you don’t have pickled chipotles on hand, you can substitute with Tabaco Chipotle sauce. I have the recipe for the pickled chipotle in Spanish, but if you send me a note, I’ll translate it and post it in English ASAP.
How to grill pork ribs to perfection
Now, back to business. The first thing is getting the best ribs. I got my Smithfield® Extra Tender Back Ribs at my local Walmart and trust me: there is no better way to get fresh pork.
The only thing you have to do once you take them out of the package is to dry them up with a paper towel. Then, take away the thin membrane that covers the ribs on the bone side.
While you preheat your grill (I really recommend a charcoal grill) to 250˚F, make your own rub. This time I combined paprika, brown sugar, black pepper, and pink salt.
Once your rub is ready, generously add it to both sides of the ribs and place them over an indirect fire to avoid any charring. For your ribs to be juicy and super tender, you just need to grill them, covered and undisturbed for about an hour or until the meat thermometer marks 145˚F.
While your ribs are on the grill, it’s time to make the tamarind-chipotle glaze and once the ribs are done, generously cover them with the glaze. They will literally fly when you serve them.
Shopping List for this recipe
To make this recipe you’ll need some utensils and ingredients you can easily find online through my Amazon Affiliate Program including:
- Brown sugar or Monk Fruit
- Black pepper
- Pink salt
- Small pot
- Wooden spoon
- Tamarind pulp
- Chipotle en adobo
- Charcoal grill
- Grilling tools
- Wooden cutting board
BBQ Pork Ribs with Tamarind-Chipotle Glaze
- 4 Smithfield Extra Tender Pork Ribs (about 10 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pink salt
- 1 cup of tamarind paste
- 4 pickled chipotles (around 4 tablespoons)
- ½ cup of water
- Light a charcoal grill.
- In a mortar put all the ingredients for the rub: paprika, brown sugar, black pepper and pink salt.
- Season the ribs with the rub: a little on the bones part and abundantly on the top.
- When the charcoal is on but no flames are visible, lay the ribs on the grill making sure they are on indirect fire.
- Cover and cook for about an hour, until the meat thermometer marks 145˚F.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the tamarind paste with the chipotle and water, until a smooth sauce is formed.
- When the ribs are ready, cover them with plenty of the glaze, cover the grill again and grill for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from grill, cut and serve.
Check this video out and see how easy can be grilling pork ribs:9