Pasta all’amatriciana.This has been an amazing tomato season. Every day we enjoy our crop as part of our daily diet, while I keep processing and processing for the winter.Because tomatoes offer so many cooking possibilities, there is no way to get bored. Take a look at colorful this pasta all’amatriciana.It doesn’t taste like any other recipe here, but what it has in common with most of my favorite recipes is, that it’s made with tomatoes and it’s as simple as flavorful.I love it because you can get the sweet of the ripe cherry tomatoes, the salty crispiness of the bacon bits, the spicy fiery flavor of the peperoncino and the acid of the balsamic vinegar, all in one bite.A classic of the Roman and Italian cuisines, originally, sugo all’amatriciana (from the town of Amatrice at the Lazio Region in central Italy, not so far from Rome) is made with guanciale (dried, unsmoked pork cheek).Also, the traditional noodles to make pasta all’amatriciana are the bucatini and the perfect cheese to pair with is, of course, Roman Pecorino.My recipe goes perfectly with unsmoked bacon and I use whatever noodles I have in my pantry. Today’s choice were these beautiful gemelli, which I love because they keep sauce chunks trapped.I hope you like it!
- 1 package of gemelli
- 8 slices of frozen unsmoked bacon cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 1 ½ onion finely chopped
- ¼ Tsp. of dried crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 2 pounds of ripe cherry tomatoes halved
- Pecorino cheese grated
- In a large saucepan, sauté the bacon on medium heat until crispy, around 5 minutes.
- Reserve half of the bacon.
- Add the garlic, onion and red pepper to the sauce pan and sauté them in the bacon fat, until translucent, around 10 minutes.
- Stir the vinegar and add the tomatoes.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, put the water for the pasta to boil. Cook the pasta and once it’s al dente, strain it and let some fresh water run on top to stop cooking. Strain again.
- Add the pasta to the saucepan with the sauce. If the pasta looks dry, add some of the pasta water and stir.
- Serve and garnish with the reserved bacon and pecorino cheese.
Did you make this recipe?Tag @enrilemoine on Instagram and hashtag it #byenrilemoine. Thank you!
Thank you for saving and sharing this pasta all’amatriciana recipe on Pinterest.