Bohémienne, is the French word for ‘bohemian’. It’s also the name given a flavorful yet delicate Provençal eggplant and tomato casserole.
For me, this flavorful Southern France dish, is another way to look at the ratatouille.
Like its cousin the ratatouille, this dish is made out of summer eggplants and ripe tomatoes.
They are sautéed in olive oil with minced garlic and then flavored with an anchovy purée.
To give this dish its creamy consistency, some milk and flour are added to the eggplant, tomato and anchovy mixture.
Then, all goes to an oven dish to be sprinkled with bread crumbs. In my case, I prefer gluten-free panko for this Mediterranean recipe.
Even if the ratatouille is the one that has become worldwide known, in Southern France the bohémienne is the one that is more commonly preferred. Let me tell you why… in my opinion the addition of the salty anchovies, brings both complexity and another level of flavor to the recipe…
This dish can be served hot, warm or cold. This coarse puree is also superb if spread on a rustic bread slice… The simpler the better!
How to make this eggplant & tomato casserole
To make this Provençal delight, you’ll need some kitchen tools and ingredients, all of them easy to find online using my Amazon Affiliate Program:
Here is my delicious recipe. I hope you like it as much as I do. Please try it and let me know how do you like the powerful combination of eggplants, tomatoes and anchovies in one dish.
Thank you for subscribing to my Youtube channel and visiting my Amazon store
Bohémienne, Eggplant and Tomato Casserole
- 4 cups of eggplants, diced coarsely
- 4 cups of tomatoes (ripe, preferable peeled, seeded) diced coarsely
- 6 Tbs. of olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 Tbsp. of flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. of panko
- In a large sauté pan, warm 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, add the eggplants and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until the mixture is soft and can be crushed with a fork.
- In a mortar, muddle the anchovy fillets until they become a paste and mix them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the anchovy mixture to the vegetables.
- Blend the flour with the milk and add it to the vegetables.
- Season with pepper.
- Mix well and put the mixture in an oiled gratin dish.
- Sprinkle on the panko and the remaining olive oil.
- In a preheated to 350°F oven, bake the gratin for 30 minutes.
Thank you for saving and sharing this eggplant and tomato casserole recipe on Pinterest.
You may also like these recipes:0