This Mexican-Style Sweet Corn Salad recipe is sponsored by Sedano’s. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for reading and supporting the brands that make this blog possible.
This year Cinco de Mayo may be different, but we can still celebrate at home by making our favorite tacos served with guacamole, pico de gallo, and all kinds of salsas. With Cinco de Mayo around the corner, I’m all about antojitos mexicanos, and today’s corn salad is proof of that.
Inspired by the delicious Mexican esquites, my warm sweet corn salad is made with fresh sweet corn, sautée in melted butter, and for an extra kick of flavor, I seasoned it with Knorr® Selects™ granulated bouillon.
To dress the salad, I used Hellmann’s® Mayonnaise. Hellmann’s mayonnaise has always been a staple in my kitchen, not only because of its real taste but also because there’s less waste: it now comes in 100% recycled bottles!
Saving at Sedano’s
As usual, I got all my ingredients in my neighborhood Sedano’s, my favorite grocery store where I can find Latin American ingredients at the best prices. You can preview Sedano’s Cinco de Mayo sales in their booklet at GetTheSavings.com/Sedano’s.
The booklet will be available at your local stores from 4/21/2021 to 5/11/2021 or while supplies last, so hurry! It includes great savings when you buy Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, Knorr Selects bouillon, Breyers® Ice Cream, as well as Lipton® Aguas Frescas, AXE, Caress, TREsemmé Hair Products, and Dove Hair Care Products, among other. Check out these offers:
▪ SAVE 75¢ on any ONE (1) Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise (20 oz. or larger) product.
▪ SAVE 75¢ on any ONE (1) Breyers® Ice Cream (48 oz.) product.
▪ SAVE 75¢ on any THREE (3) Knorr® Sides™ products.
▪ SAVE 75¢ on any ONE (1) Lipton® Aguas Fresca (10 qt.) product.
▪ SAVE 50¢ When you buy ONE (1) Mahatma® White Rice 5 lb. product
▪ SAVE $1.00 When you buy ONE (1) Mahatma® Jasmine Rice 5 lb. product
▪ SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) AXE product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
▪ SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) Caress® product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
▪ SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) TRESemmé® product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
▪ SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) Dove Hair Care product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
What are esquites?
Esquites are made of fresh corn, with chopped onions and minced garlic all cooked in melted butter and seasoned with chili peppers (serranos or poblanos), an herb called epazote, and a squeeze of lime juice.
The cup is then topped with either crema mexicana or mayo, either queso fresco crumbles or grated cotija cheese (or both), chili pepper powder, and the cherry on top is a wedge of lime.
Fresh Corn vs. Frozen Corn
I use fresh sweet corn on the cob because I can’t resist its freshness and on top of that, our Florida corn season is currently in full swing. However, this salad can be perfectly made with frozen corn.
Can esquites be made with canned sweet corn kernel?
Technically, the answer is yes. However, I’m not sure that canned sweet corn kernels have the “personality” required for this flavorful recipe.
Tips to Make the Mexican-Style Sweet Corn Salad
- I prefer fresh corn on the cob
- To get a delicious smoky flavor, char your corn cobs on the grill, or in a grilling cast iron pan, before slicing them.
- Add a splash of olive oil, instead of only plain butter, to sauté the garlic, onion, and the corn kernels.
- The spiciness is on you. No matter the chili pepper of your choice (serrano, poblano, or jalapeño), if you’re not so fond of the hot spicy food, take away the seeds and veins of your chilis.
- While sautéing your corn kernels, season with Knorr Selects bouillon instead of salt.
- For an extra layer of flavor, add some chipotles en adobo or a few drops of chipotle sauce to the mayonnaise and you’ll have a delicious chipotle mayo.
- Can’t find epazote? I don’t blame you. So, no worries and use fresh cilantro instead.
- Not a fan of cilantro? Skip it! This salad has so much personality itself that it’s equally tasteful and delicious.
Mexican-style Sweet Corn Salad Recipe
The following is my recipe. I hope you like it as much I do. Thank you for following my blog and subscribing to my YouTube channel.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Mexican-style Sweet Corn Salad
- 6 fresh corn cobs shelled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons jalapeño pepper deveined, seeded, and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Knorr® Selects™ granulated bouillon
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Hellmann’s® Mayonnaise
- The juice of a lime
- ½ cup queso fresco crumbs
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- Hellmann's® Mayonnaise
- Queso fresco crumbs
- Powder chili pepper
- Wedge limes
- In a deep pan over medium heat, melt the butter with olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onion, and sauté stirring occasionally until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño, corn kernels, Knorr® Selects™ granulated bouillon, stir and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water and stir. Cook uncovered for 5-8 more minutes until the water is mostly consumed.
- Put the corn in a big mixing bowl, add the cheese crumbs, lime juice, mayo, and combine well.
- Add the fresh cilantro and stir so it’s evenly distributed.
- Serve in individual cups topped with more mayo, queso fresco crumbles, chili powder, and a wedge of lime.