This post is also available in: Español
Guacamole.Before you start reading, I must confess: we don’t watch the Super Bowl. I know it is the most massively watched sporting event in the United States: there will be more than 90 million viewers tomorrow. But there’s no way I can sit in front of the TV to watch the big game. This year, it seems that Andrés Ignacio (9) will watch it.However, the Super Bowl is the perfect excuse to share this superb guacamole. After all Southern California is the land of the succulent Hass avocado and the main avocado producer in the United States. According to the California Avocado Commission, almost 90% of the national harvest is produced in this soil and 60% of the California avocados are grown in San Diego County, half an hour away from our home.
Being so close to Mexico, guacamole is part of the culinary culture of Southern California. Literally, guacamole (from the Aztec voices āhuacatl and molli) means avocado sauce.Making guacamole is kind of a ritual in our house. First, onions, garlic and jalapeño are finely chopped. Then, with the help of a fork, the avocados are crushed and all the ingredients are combined. After adding sour cream, the condiments come: a bit of mild or hot sauce, freshly squeezed lemon juice and coarse sea salt.Surprisingly, we don’t add cilantro. Honestly, the result is so tasty (and creamy), that it’s not necessary. While we taste it with tortilla chips, we can finish, in a matter of minutes, at least half the bowl. That’s part of the family ritual and talks about how tasty this recipe is.
- 5 medium ripe hass avocados
- 8 green onions finely chopped the white part plus some of the tender green part
- ½ green jalapeño pepper with no veins seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 cup of mild to medium hot salsa
- ¼ cup of light sour cream
- 1 ½ Tbs. of fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice
- Coarse sea salt
- Halve the avocados, remove the seeds and scoop the flesh with a spoon.
- In a bowl, mash the avocados with a fork.
- Add the onions, jalapeño and garlic and combine.
- Add the salsa, sour cream and lime juice and combine.
- Salt to taste and enjoy it!
Thank you for saving and sharing this avocado and shrimp canoes recipe on Pinterest.