Pico de Gallo. Living in Southern California, it is almost impossible not to be in tune with México. Take Cinco de Mayo (May fifth in Spanish), the Mexican civil holiday that commemorates the Battle of Puebla. It is celebrated mostly in Puebla, México but overall in the United States.In the Battle of Puebla, held on May 5th 1862, a Mexican army, defeated French forces which were twice the number of Mexicans. It seems that Mexicans living in California by the time of the American Civil War, which ended in 1865, were the first celebrating Cinco de Mayo in the US.Today, in America, Cinco de Mayo symbolizes Mexican heritage and pride. So I decided to celebrate it with this pretty simple, yet flavorful pico de gallo or salsa fresca, whose colors are the same as those of the Mexican flag!I hope you like it, have a happy Cinco de Mayo and Viva México!
Pico de Gallo
Servings: 4 cups
- 2 cups of Roma tomatoes seeded and finely diced
- 2 cups of white or yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups of cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 Tbs. Jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 3 Tbs. of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- n a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and jalapeño.
- Season with lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
This salsa can be saved in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Did you make this recipe?Tag @enrilemoine on Instagram and hashtag it #byenrilemoine. Thank you!
Thank you for saving and sharing this pico de gallo recipe on Pinterest
Latest posts by Enri (see all)
- White Wine Sangria Recipe: It Tastes like Summer! - June 8, 2023
- Venezuelan Torta de Plátano Recipe: Ripe Plantain & Cheese Casserole - June 5, 2023
- 40 Must-Have Recipes to Elevate Your Memorial Day Cookout - May 24, 2023