This post is also available in: Español
What do you do when you have those ripened bananas getting ugly in your kitchen counter? You mash them and bake this delicious Jamaican banana bread!
What can be better than this?
This is simply elevating your banana bread and taking it to the next level, by adding some nutmeg, chopped pecans and lots raisins to the dough.
Then, you’ll have a dense, moist, not so sweet full of flavor, aromatic banana bread with contrasting textures in every single bite!
I must warn you. This banana bread is no regular banana bread. Not that the “regular” is not delicious, but this one with all those goodies inside is simply scrumptious!
It’s called Jamaican banana bread and I found the recipe in Breads, a cooking book that I bought when I was 19. Since then, I have been baking it.
Serve it with a glass of milk, or a good cappuccino, and you’ll be in breakfast heaven. As a snack at home or on the, you’ll love this banana bread. Give it a try and I promise you will never put in the trash a ripened banana again.
How to make the best banana bread
To make this banana bread you will need some basic kitchen tools and ingredientes that you can easily get online through my Amazon Affiliate Program:
- Electric mixer
- Silicon spatula
- Loaf baking pan
- All purpose flour
- Dark brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking Spray
Here is the recipe, slightly adapted from the one I found in Breads. I hope you like it as much as a I do.
Jamaican Banana Bread
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup brown sugar dark
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ tablespoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas ripe, mashed
- 2/3 cup raisins tossed with 1 tsp. of flour
- 1/3 cup pecans coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350˚.
- Spray an 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat the mixture thoroughly.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and nutmeg and mix well.
- Add the bananas and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Fold the pecans and raisins into the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for one hour or until a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool down completely before slicing.
Hungry for more banana delights? Check out these delicious recipes:
- Oatmeal cranberry-banana bread
- Chocolate-cranberry banana bread
- Banana cranberry muffins
- Vegan banana bread
Also, don’t forget to check my not to-be-missed breads:1