This post is also available in: Español
I had long craved this chipotle lentil soup with chorizo. But must I confess that with the Miami heat, the last thing one wants to do is cook and have soup. Period.
Luckily for us, we are enjoying a nice “cold” weather during these mild South Florida winter days… with temperatures fluctuating between 60˚ and 80˚F…So, here I go, dicing onions, celery and carrots to sauté the flavorful base of my delicious chipotle lentil soup with chorizo.
You can make it in just 45 minutes and I guarantee you this soups will as flavorful as comforting.I would say this soup is a hearty meal, it’s perfect for a cold, rainy day… ven better, this soup is a meal by itself…
It’s a hybrid between my Spanish lentil soup with chorizo and my delicious French lentil soup, and it’s made with love and my pickled chipotles (I know I owe you the recipe, so bear with me, please.)
Without further ado, here is my chipotle lentil soup with chorizo recipe.
Chipotle Lentil Soup with Chorizo
- 1 pound of lentils picked and rinsed
- 8 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¾ cup of onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup of celery finely diced
- ¾ cup of carrot finely diced
- 1 cup of Spanish chorizo finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons of pickled chipotles minced
- 1 ½ cup potatoes peeled and diced into 1/3 inch cubes
- Coarse sea salt
- In a stock pot over medium-high heat put the lentils with the water to boil. Once it breaks the boil, cook for 10 minutes.
- In a deep frying pan at medium heat, add the olive oil and onion, garlic, celery and carrots, and sauté for about 5-6 minutes until the onion begins to wilt.
- Add the sofrito and chipotle to the pot with the lentils, and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, lower the heat to medium and add the chorizo and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, season with salt and cook uncovered until it boils.
- Once it boils, cook for 12-15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft but firm.
- Correct the salt and let it rest for at least half an hour before serving.
Thank you for saving and sharing this recipe on Pinterest.2