Following the Latin tradition of eating lentil soup on January 1st (so you won’t lack food and prosperity during the rest of the year), we had my Winter French Lentil Soup as our first 2011 meal. However, today I was craving for my so comforting lentil soup with chorizo and here I go.
Since it was so chilly outside and The Three Magi will arrive pretty soon, I decided to celebrate the Epiphany with a recipe that brings memories of my Mother Land, and that I can cook with my eyes closed.
No need to say that in this lentil soup with Spanish chorizo, the flavor comes from the sofrito (chopped onion, garlic and red bell pepper, sautéed in olive oil) and the chorizo (Spanish, Portuguese, either smoked or not). It pairs perfect with red wine and for dessert, I would suggest flan, natilla or crema catalana.
I hope you enjoy it the same way I have enjoyed it all these years! Please don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube channel.
Lentil Soup with Spanish Chorizo
- 2 Tbs. of olive oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 pound lentils, rinsed
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup Spanish chorizo, finely sliced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- coarse sea salt
- black pepper, freshly grounded
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and make a sofrito by sautéing the onions, garlic and red bell pepper, for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and stir. Add the water and bring to boil over high heat.
- Boil for 5 minutes and discard the foam.
- Add the chorizo and the potatoes and bring to boil.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Thank you for saving and sharing this lentil and Spanish chorizo soup recipe on Pinterest.