Today Miami woke up at 42˚F. The perfect temperature for a hot chocolate, I thought. So I made my hot chocolate Caracas-style, thickened with cornstarch and with a pinch of salt added, exactly the way my mom or my grandma would have done. So, here is the beverage as I used to have it in my childhood: very thick, just like the one you can have in Madrid, Spain when you go out and end the party after midnight, with a good cup of thick chocolate with churros.
VENEZUELAN HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE
Venezuelan Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 semi sweet cup chocolate tablet
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add 3 ½ cups of milk and the chocolate and cook stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, put the rest of the milk and add the cornstarch and stir until it completely dissolved. Reserve.
- Once the chocolate has dissolved, reduce the heat to medium-low,add the mixture of milk and cornstarch, and continue cooking stirring constantly, for 7-8 minutes until the chocolate has the desired thickness.
- Add the vanilla and salt and stir.
- Serve hot.
Thank you for saving and sharing this recipe on Pinterest.