If you haven’t made your own granola, you don’t know what are you missing. Give my almond coconut granola with raisins a try, and I promise you’ll never, ever buy granola in a box or a bag… again!
Granola became super popular in the 60s and 70.s At that time, as of today, the idea was to have a healthy oat-based breakfast or snack.
But… Is granola healthy food?
Granola is tricky, to say the least. No matter the fact the word granola is associated with healthy food, when I see all the ingredients in commercial granola brands these days, I pass.
Don’t take me wrong. I love granola and most of the brands are simply delicious… But, I don’t know if this happens to you too, but I find almost all of them to be extremely sweet.
As if that wasn’t enough, when I read the ingredients’ list, most of them with names I cannot pronounce, I realize this is not what I want.
The Simplest Ingredients for the Best Granola
This homemade coconut granola is quite the opposite. Not too sweet. It’s super crunchy, toasted, and deliciously fragrant. And more important, it’s made with ingredients that we usually have in our pantries.
Rolled oats (also known as old-fashioned oats), unsweetened shredded coconut, and sliced unblanched almonds. All these ingredients are combined in a bowl and then tossed with a mixture of organic coconut oil, organic raw honey, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
Once combined the ingredients, are baked for about 20-25 minutes after which organic raisins are added. Best granola ever. I guarantee you that once you make it, you’ll make it again and again…
Almond Coconut Granola: A family recipe
This granola is inspired by the one my mom used to make when I was a little girl, back in Caracas. We didn’t have granola brands at that time. So I assume one of my mom’s American friends gave her the recipe. Because we are all oatmeal and crunchy food lovers, we all fell for that granola.
She used to cook it in a cast-iron pan on the stove. That’s an option. I prefer to bake it, among other things because I do bigger batches (both my kids love it!)
How to Make Almond Coconut Granola
To make this recipe you will need some utensils and ingredients easily found online, through my Amazon Affiliate Program, including:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Silicone spatulas
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Rolled Oats
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Sliced almonds
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
Almond Coconut Granola with Raisins
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut the one used for baking
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup raisins
- In a bowl combine the oats, coconut, and almonds.
- In another bowl, mix the honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla and stir until emulsified.
- Add the honey and spice mixture to the bowl with oats, almonds, and coconut and stir until well combined
- Turn the oven to 300˚F (no need to preheat) and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the granola on the tray.
- Bring the tray to the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the cereal is evenly golden brown.
- Add the raisins to the baking sheet, stir and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down completely.
- Once cool, the granola will be crispy and ready to be stored in an airtight container.