This Mexican-Style Street Corn on the Cob recipe is sponsored by the Family Celebrations promotion at Publix. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for reading and supporting the brands that make this blog possible.
The first time that I saw elotes callejeros was exactly nine years ago at my local Publix. I had moved from Southern California to South Florida. The photo of the most delicious, tasty corn on the cob was in the store’s summer recipes booklet.
I took the booklet home, definitely surprised by all the toppings covering the corn ears. For me, the best way to enjoy corn on the cob was plain or with some butter.That was until I discovered elotes callejeros
What are elotes callejeros?
“Elote” is the name Mexicans give to corn. Elotes callejeros are grilled corn ears sold by vendors on the streets of Mexico, hence the name callejeros.
But wait. By any means, these are simply corn ears. Once grilled, they dress corn on the cob with a mixture of creamy mayonnaise and fresh lime juice and sprinkle them with queso Cotija or queso fresco, cilantro, and chili powder. Trust me: this is corn elevated to the next level.
Saving at Publix: a Family Celebration
We are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, and what can be a better way to join the party than a delicious Latin recipe and the Family Celebration’s promotion at your local Publix? The Family Celebration runs at Publix from 9/4/21 to 10/2/21. You can save more than $35! Visit getthesavings.com and access your print-at-home saving coupons, or simply pick up your in-store coupon flyer.
Check the savings on food items:
- $1 off WITH MFR DIGITAL COUPON Any One Activia 12 pk.
- $1 off WITH MFR DIGITAL COUPON Any One (1) Cacique Crema Mexicana Table Cream 15 oz.
- $1 off WITH MFR DIGITAL COUPON Any One (1) Cacique Queso Blanco Cheese Dip 16 oz.
- $1 off WITH MFR DIGITAL COUPON Any One (1) Cacique Ranchero Queso Fresco Cheese Chunk 10 oz
- $1.50 off Any One (1) Hellmann’s Sauce 9 oz.
- 50¢ off Any One (1) Isadora® Refried Beans 15.2 oz.
- $2 off Any One (1) Kentucky Legend® Applewood Smoked or Hickory Smoked Bacon 16 oz.
- $1 off Any One (1) Knorr® Pasta Sides Family Pack 8.3–8.8 oz. (in select stores)
- $1 off Any TWO (2) Knorr® Sides or Selects 3.8–6.2 oz. (excludes One Skillet Meals)
- $1.50 off Any TWO (2) Lipton® Recipe Secrets 1.8–2.6 oz.
- $1 off Any One (1) Lipton® Tea 15–100 ct. or Lipton® Instant Tea Mix 2.6–70.5 oz.
- $1.50 off Any One (1) Sir Kensington’s Product 8.45–20 oz.
There are also other savings that you won’t want to miss:
- $3 off WITH MFR DIGITAL COUPON Any One (1) Charmin® 24 Mega Roll OR Bounty® 12 Double Roll or 8 Triple Roll, Select A Size
- $3 off WITH MFR DIGITAL COUPON Any TWO (2) Crest® Adult Toothpaste 3 oz. or larger, Crest® Mouthwash 1L or larger, Oral-B® Adult Manual Toothbrush 4 ct., or Oral-B® Glide Floss/Picks 75 ct. (excludes Crest Cavity, Baking Soda, Tartar Control/Protection pastes, Kids variants, Indicator, & Healthy Clean brushes, and trial/travel size)
- $1 off Any One (1) Finish® Jet-Dry 8.45–16 oz. or Dishwasher Cleaner 3 ct. or 8.45 oz.
- $2 off Any One (1) Finish® POWERBALL® 46–62 ct. or QUANTUM® 37 ct.
- $3 off WITH MFR DIGITAL COUPON Any TWO (2) Gain® 154–165 oz., Gain® Fabric Enhancers 129 oz., Gain® Flings or Tide® Pods 48–96 ct.
- $1 off Any TWO (2) Gillette® Anti-Perspirants 1.6–7.6 oz.
- $1 off Any One (1) Joy® Razor or Cartridge Refills
- $1 off Any One (1) Lysol® Brand New Day 19–32 oz., or 80 ct.
- $1.50 off Any One (1) Lysol® Laundry Sanitizer 41 oz.
- $1 off Any One (1) Lysol® Clean & Fresh MultiSurface Cleaner 40 oz.
- $2 off Any One (1) Nivea® Hand & Body Lotion 16.9 oz. or Men’s Body Wash 16.9 oz.
- $1 off Any One (1) Old Spice® Body Wash 16–30 oz. or Bar Soap 8 ct.
- $1 off Any One (1) Resolve® Trigger or Aerosol 22–32 oz.
How to make Mexican-style corn on the cob
To make elotes callejeros, you can grill, boil, or steam your corn on the cob. My favorite way is slowly grilling them with the husks on. However, here in Florida, we are in the middle of our rainy season, which only means pouring rain two or three times a day. So, to avoid any weather-related complications, I cooked them on the stove in my cast iron grilling pan.
My secret for perfectly cooked corn ears is to soak them in salted water and then place them in a lightly greased pre-heated grilling pan. This soaking method is also valid when you grill the cobs in an outside grill.
By soaking the cobs before grilling them, you reach two goals. You get the perfect texture: corn is firm, juicy on the inside and slightly charred on the outside. You also protect the kernels from being rapidly burnt.
How to Serve Elotes Callejeros
Besides fresh corn on the cob, essential ingredients of this elotes callejeros recipe are, no doubt, the toppings:
- First is Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, a staple in my kitchen forever, with a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice. The idea is to completely cover the cooked corn ears with a generous amount of this mayo mixture.
- Grated Cotija cheese and crumbled Cacique Ranchero Queso Fresco, for an extra layer of flavor.
- Chili powder for a spicy kick.
- Chopped fresh cilantro for color, flavor, and freshness purposes.
You can serve these Mexican-style street corns on the cob with corn holders or bamboo skewers. They are as messy as they are yummy, and I can guarantee that once you try them, this will be your favorite way to enjoy corn on the cob.
Elotes Callejeros Recipe
Inspired by what I discovered in a Publix recipe booklet a few years ago, the following is my recipe. I hope you like it as much as I do. Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel.
Mexican-style Street Corn on the Cob
- 6 corn ears
- 3/4 cup Hellmann’s Mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup Cotija cheese grated
- ⅓ cup Cacique Ranchero Queso Fresco finely crumbled
- Chili powder
- Fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- Peel corn ears and soak them for 15 minutes in salted water.
- Preheat a cast-iron grilling pan. Lightly grease it with a brush.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the lime juice.
- Grill the cobs for 5 minutes, turning them to cook them evenly. Let them char slightly.
- Take the corn cobs out of the heat.
- With a brush, spread the mayonnaise with the lime juice to cover corn cobs.
- Cover with both Cotija cheese and queso fresco.
- Sprinkle with chili powder and fresh cilantro.
Did you make this recipe?Tag @enrilemoine on Instagram and hashtag it #byenrilemoine. Thank you!