The perfect loose white rice recipe?
Keep reading for the amazing tips I inherited from my mom. I remember as if it was yesterday, the day my mom taught me how to make fluffy loose white rice.
I was 13 and she showed me the basics: how to make meatballs in tomato sauce, fried plantains, tuna salad, and white rice! Did she know I was going to end being a cook? I don’t think so, but her teachings have been with me for more than four decades.
The rice one, must have been a very well taught culinary lesson because I have been making white rice since forever with the same amazing result: delicious fluffy loose white rice.
My mom used to flavor her rice with a stripe of red bell pepper, a wedge of white onion and garlic powder, all sautéed in vegetable oil. Through the times, I’ve substituted all those flavoring agents by fresh garlic that I sauté in olive oil.
How to make the perfect loose white rice
Besides the garlic thing, my technique is the one I inherited from my mom and it’s the same I’m passing to my children. That technique can be summarized as follows:
- Use Canilla rice and rinse it up and then strain it before cooking it.
- Sauté the rice before adding the water: that will help to prevent rice clusters.
- Keep the 1:2 ratio, which means that for every part of rice, you will use two parts of water.
- Always use boiling water.
- To check if the rice is done, use a fork.
- Once the rice is done, let it rest covered for 5 minutes.
To make the perfect white rise you’ll need some kitchen tools and ingredients that you can easily find online through my Amazon Affiliate Program, including:
- Small pot with a lid
- Chef Knife
- Wooden cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Canilla rice
Following is my recipe for the perfect loose white rice.
- 1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, mashed with the blade of a chef knife
- 1 cup of Canilla rice, rinsed and strained
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- In a small pot over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until golden brown.
- Add the rice and sauté, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the water and boil for 1 minute.
- Add the salt and stir.
- Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
Thanks for saving and sharing this loose white rice recipe on Pinterest.