This post is also available in: Español
The perfect loose white rice recipe? Keep reading for the amazing tips I inherited from my mom.
I remember as if it was yesterday, the day my mom taught me how to make fluffy loose white rice. I was 13 and she showed me the basics: how to make meatballs in tomato sauce, fried plantains, tuna salad, and white rice! Did she know I was going to end being a cook? I don’t think so, but her teachings have been with me for more than four decades.
The rice one, must have been a very well taught culinary lesson because I have been making white rice since forever with the same amazing result: delicious fluffy loose white rice.
My mom used to flavor her rice with a stripe of red bell pepper, a wedge of white onion and garlic powder, all sautéed in vegetable oil. Through the times, I’ve substituted all those flavoring agents by fresh garlic that I sauté in olive oil.
How to make the perfect loose white rice
Besides the garlic thing, my technique is the one I inherited from my mom and it’s the same I’m passing to my children. That technique can be summarized as follows:
- Use Canilla rice and rinse it up and then strain it before cooking it.
- Sauté the rice before adding the water: that will help to prevent rice clusters.
- Keep the 1:2 ratio, which means that for every part of rice, you will use two parts of water.
- Always use boiling water.
- To check if the rice is done, use a fork.
- Once the rice is done, let it rest covered for 5 minutes.
Please watch my video demo on this recipe and if you haven’t done so yet, please subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Following is my recipe for the perfect loose white rice.
- 1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, mashed with the blade of a chef knife
- 1 cup of Canilla rice, rinsed and strained
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- In a small pot over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until golden brown.
- Add the rice and sauté, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the water and boil for 1 minute.
- Add the salt and stir.
- Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
Thanks for saving and sharing this loose white rice recipe on Pinterest.0