This post is also available in: Español
Creamy Leek & Potato Soup.
I’m a soup person. When I first moved to Miami, I used to save soups for the winter. But now I have returned to the Caracas (the city where I was born an raised) way and I eat soup at lunch, no matter what.
It doesn’t matter because unless I go out for a walk, go to swim or to the beach, in Miami we live in the air conditioning. Besides that, next week is, finally, back to school and after that we’ll all be dreaming about my favorite fall season which at least in my house means soup season!
This creamy leek & potato soup is a staple in my kitchen since I first made it, long time ago, inspired by Don Armando Scannone’s recipe, which I found in Mi Cocina a la manera de Caracas.
Unlike Scannone’s recipe, mine doesn’t include any broth. Taste is given by leeks and texture is given by potatoes. It’s so creamy and smooth that nothing needs to be added. I hope you like my recipe. Needless to say it’s one of my best sellers soups.
Leek & Potato Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups coarsely chopped leeks the white part and some of the tender green part
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and roughly cut
- 6 cups water
- Freshly ground white pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the garlic cloves, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water, increase the heat to medium high and cover cooking until it boils. Cook for 15-20 minutes more until the potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Thank you for saving and sharing this leek and potato soup recipe on Pinterest.