This post is also available in: Español
Yellow Squash Soup.In theory, summer is over. And although I do not see obvious signs of the arrival of the fall, the truth is the new season begins today and I just realized I did not make my zucchini soup during the summer.The reason is very simple. In the spring I prepared three zucchini seedlings but when the plants grew, it turned out two were yellow squash and the only zucchini that grew was not the most productive one. My zucchini harvest was poor so, there was no zucchini for soup!But my yellow squash plants were loaded and since yellow squash and zucchini are “first cousins,” I decided to substitute one for the other and cook this soup, the same way my mother taught me to make zucchini soup.This is as simple as flavorful. Onions wilted in butter give a lot of flavor while the creamy, yet light texture is reached by processing all the ingredients with an immersion blender.At the time of serving you can garnish it with croutons, chopped chives, or fresh goat cheese pearls. You can also add some heavy cream, but I love it plain: the simpler, the better.
Yellow Squash Soup
- 1 medium white or yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 4 cups yellow squash coarsely chopped
- 2 cups of water
- Coarse sea salt
- In a pan with a lid, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and sauté the onions until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the yellow squash and cook them until they are juicy, for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the water and cook covered for 8 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and with the help of an immersion blender, blend it until it gets a creamy consistency.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter and stir until it’s dissolved.
- Salt to taste.
Thank you for saving and sharing this yellow squash recipe on Pinterest.
[amazon_link asins=’B00Z4TSE32,B00FS1OK2K,B0002HDXUK,B06XCJX1CZ,168188139X,0399578250,1784880388,1940352800′ template=’ProductCarouselEn’ store=’lemoine-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’430db141-acbc-11e8-b73d-c56daec1d769′]