Chipotle Lentil Soup with Chorizo
A hearty, comforting lentil soup with the well defined flavors of pickled chipotle and chorizo. Perfect for a cold, rainy day.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 pound of lentils picked and rinsed
- 8 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¾ cup of onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup of celery finely diced
- ¾ cup of carrot finely diced
- 1 cup of Spanish chorizo finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons of pickled chipotles minced
- 1 ½ cup potatoes peeled and diced into 1/3 inch cubes
- Coarse sea salt
In a stock pot over medium-high heat put the lentils with the water to boil. Once it breaks the boil, cook for 10 minutes.
In a deep frying pan at medium heat, add the olive oil and onion, garlic, celery and carrots, and sauté for about 5-6 minutes until the onion begins to wilt.
Add the sofrito and chipotle to the pot with the lentils, and bring to a boil.
Once it boils, lower the heat to medium and add the chorizo and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes, season with salt and cook uncovered until it boils.
Once it boils, cook for 12-15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft but firm.
Correct the salt and let it rest for at least half an hour before serving.