Chocolate & Zucchini Cake and Happy Zucchini Bread Day!There are children that are picky eaters and my son Tomás Eugenio is the pickiest. He’s not only picky. He’s stubborn and determined. At the age of 7, he’s committed to a diet full of protein and carbs that only includes an eventual apple or banana as his only fresh fruit. He only eats vegetables in my pizza or pasta sauces. Not to mention he’s a chocolate killer.For Easter, I was ready to bake my carrot cake and make the zucchini soup that we all love, but Tomás, of course. Then he came with the idea of Easter brownies.Easter brownies? I never heard about that, but I decided to challenge my boy, who was craving for chocolate, with a chocolate and zucchini cake instead, and I did it and it worked perfectly!This is a light cake, not in the sense that is low in calories (it has unbleached flower, butter, vegetable oil, buttermilk, sugar and powder chocolate) but in the sense that it’s no dense or fudgy. You cannot taste the zucchini, but they are there, disguised by the delicate chocolate flavor.I dusted it with confectioner’s sugar, just to dress it for the picture, but it is not necessary, at all. This is the perfect dessert for the spring and to celebrate that today is National Zucchini Bread Day!
Chocolate & Zucchini Cake
- 8 Tbs. of unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups of super fine sugar
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 ¾ cups of unbleached flour
- ½ cup of sweet ground chocolate and cocoa I used Ghirardelli
- 1 Tsp. of salt
- 1 Tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 Tsp. of baking powder
- 1 Tsp. of baking soda
- ½ cup of buttermilk
- 2 cups of shredded zucchini squeezed in a cheese cloth to take away the liquid
- ¼ cup of confectioner’s sugar
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-3 inch cake pan.
- Mix the flour, ground chocolate, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute on low speed.
- Add the sugar, increase the speed and beat it for about 3-4 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the oil and beat until incorporated.
- Add one egg at time, beating for 1 minute each time until incorporated. Occasionally scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- When the mixture is creamy, add the flour chocolate mix alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the buttermilk.
- Add the zucchini and mix.
- Pour the batter in the previously prepared cake pan and bake it for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Unmold the cake and let them completely cool down before dusting with the confectioner’s sugar.
Did you make this recipe?Tag @enrilemoine on Instagram and hashtag it #byenrilemoine. Thank you!
Thank you for saving and sharing this chocolate & zucchini cake recipe on Pinterest.