Split Pea Soup with Pork Ribs
This comforting split pea soup with pork ribs is a complete meal, perfect for fall and winter seasons.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 1 ½ pounds pork ribs, without the membrane that covers the part of the bones, cut into chunks
- 1½ tablespoons of olive oil
- ¾ cup of chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, liquefied
- 1 pound split peas, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cups of potatoes, cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 ½ teaspoons of salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat ½ teaspoon of olive oil and add the pork ribs. Cook for 5 minutes.
Turn the pork ribs and cook for 5 more minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat and reserve.
In a pot over medium heat, heat the rest of the olive oil and add the onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until wilting.
Add the peas and stir.
Add the pork ribs and stir.
Add water and bay leaves.
Bring to boil and remove the foam that is formed on the surface.
Reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for 20 minutes.
Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook covered for 15 minutes.