This Rice with Shrimp recipe is sponsored by Sedano’s. The opinions and text are all mine.
Does anyone crave food all the time as I do?
I’m so grateful that I’m a cook. I’ve spent five years living in southern California and seven in South Florida, but I can always taste the flavors of my home Caracas, because I can take care of any Venezuelan food craving… including this rice with shrimp Caracas-style!
Is Rice with Shrimp the Same as Paella?
This dish tastes like Caracas, the city where I was born and raised. And even if it’s made with seafood, it’s more like an “arroz con pollo” (rice with chicken) rather than a paella. It tastes like heaven and It’s made in four simple steps. Even better: you can have dinner ready in less than 30 minutes. Bingo!
But before you get hands-on cooking, stop at your local Sedano’s and get all the ingredients to create this delicious dish. This is simply perfect all year round and especially now that we’re celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month!
How to Make Rice with Shrimp
The first step is to sear the shrimp in a preheated pan with some olive oil. Once the shrimp is seared, you reserve it.
In the same pan, you create a flavorful sofrito, by sautéing chopped onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and tomatoes in olive oil. This sofrito technique is the base of our succulent Caracas cuisine.
Next, you add the rice, carrots and the liquids. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is almost done. At this point, you add the seared shrimp, stir, and add the frozen green peas. Cook all together for a few more minutes.
When serving, sprinkle with olive oil and fresh parsley. I like that this is a colorful and tasty solo dish. Every time I make it, I like to imagine this is how my grandma would cook it.
How to Make Rice with Shrimp
In an ideal world, the liquids to cook this rice are dry white wine and a broth made with the heads and shells of the shrimp. Since I got my shrimp already clean and pealed, Knorr® Selects™ Vegetable Bouillon came to my rescue.
Knorr Selects is the quickest way to add flavor to any family recipe. No matter if it’s a sauce or gravy, a starter, a main or a side dish, Knorr Selects will make you shine. On this occasion, I choose Knorr Selects Vegetable Bouillon, which is made with veggie stock from natural origin.
Saving During Hispanic Heritage Month
Go to any of the 35 Sedano’s stores across Florida, grab your coupon booklet, and enjoy great savings during this Hispanic Heritage Month, including:
- SAVE 50¢ on any ONE (1) Knorr® Mi Arroz™ or Knorr® Selects™ Bouillon product.
- SAVE 50¢ on any ONE (1) Knorr® Selects™ product.
- SAVE 50¢ on any ONE (1) Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise product (11.5 oz. or larger).
- SAVE 75¢ on any ONE (1) Lipton® Aguas Fresca (10 qt.) product.
- SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) AXE product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
- SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) Caress® product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
- SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) TRESemmé® product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
- SAVE $1.00 on any ONE (1) Dove Hair Care product (excludes trial and travel sizes).
- BUY 2 GET 1 FREE Country Crock® Plant Butter product.
- SAVE 50¢ when you buy ONE (1) Mahatma® White Rice 5 lb. product
- SAVE $1.00 when you buy ONE (1) Mahatma® Jasmine Rice 5 lb. product.
Since 1962, Sedano’s mission has been us, serve the diverse Florida communities, by selling the Latin products that we crave so much, bringing back to our tables the flavors of Latin America.
The Most Delicious Rice Recipe
The following is my recipe. I hope you like it as much as we do. Thanks for subscribing to my YouTube channel.
Rice with Shrimp
- 6 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 pound shrimp with tail
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Knorr® Selects™ Vegetable Bouillon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup carrots finely diced
- 1 cup Valencia rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- Season the shrimp with salt.
- In a deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat half of the olive oil and sear the shrimp, stirring and flipping them, until they turn opaque and bright coral, around 3-4 minutes. Reserve the shrimp in a bowl.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the rest of the oil to the same skillet. Sauté the onions and garlic until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the tomato and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Season the sofrito with the bouillon, add 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt, and stir.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the wine, stir, and cook until the liquid has been almost completely absorbed.
- Add the water, stir, and bring to a boil. Once it boils, lower the heat to medium-low and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and combine it.
- Add the frozen green peas, stir and cook, covered, for 3 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and chopped parsley.