Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese with Bacon Bits.It has been a while since the last time we had Mac & Cheese. This is a dish, so, but so caloric, that I almost feel remorse eating it. If I remember correctly, the last time we sat down to eat a good plate of macaroni and cheese was when I made my chipotle and chorizo version…But it is also that, with the sub tropical Miami weather, you don’t del like having mac & cheese all the time. However, this week two things happened that made me fall into the temptation of a good plate of mac & cheese.The first one, temperatures dropped in Miami so much, that I just feel like having comfort food. And second, a box of gluten-free macaroni smiled me at the grocery shop.So I found the perfect excuse to make my gluten-free mac & cheese with crispy bacon bits!To make the bechamel with which the cheese sauce is prepared, I used cornstarch (gluten-free.) Needless to say, these mac & cheese were a total success.
Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese with Bacon Bits
- 1 package of gluten free macaroni cooked al dente
- 4 bacon slices cut in julienne
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Drain bacon on absorbent paper towels and reserve.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the cornstarch. Stir and cook for 1 minute, to make a roux.
- Slowly add the milk and cook stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until the béchamel begins to thicken.
- Add salt and nutmeg and stir. Remove from the fire.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- In a bowl, mix the pasta with the bacon and add the cheese sauce. Stir well.
- Pour into a 10 x 14 inch pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until evenly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Thank you for saving this Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese with Bacon Bits recipe on Pinterest.