One of the things that I love the most about developing recipes is to think out of the box. So when Doña María® Mole approached me to create a dish using this dense chili pepper and chocolate paste, I deliberately decided to avoid chicken and turkey, just for the sake of challenging myself.
My first choice was to create a mole risotto, a creamy rice using an Italian technique but with the distinctive Mexican flavor provided by the rich Doña María® mole sauce. I have to say I love the texture, the dark color of this creamy mole risotto and the chili flavor lingering in the palate at the end.
The best part is now I know the traditional Mexican mole sauce, is not only for special occasions. I can buy Doña María® Mole in my grocery store and use it as an ingredient to make easy flavorful everyday dinners like this mole risotto.
Following is a video to show the step-by-step recipe:
For more ideas about how to incorporate mole to your family meals, please click here. Last, but not least, here is my recipe:
- 2 Tbs . butter
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Valencia rice
- 1 cup sherry cooking wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup crema mexicana
- 4 Tbs . Doña María Mole
- 2 Tbs . of toasted sesame seeds
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the onion until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid is almost totally absorbed.
- Add the broth 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring until the liquid is almost absorbed, and then add more broth.
- Once the rice is done, turn off the heat, and add the crema mexicana and stir.
- Add the mole and stir to combine.
- Serve and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.